RaceQs is a phone app that many of our Star and PHRF racers have been using for some time now. It tracks your race, using your phone, and plots it on a chart on a web site. What it does that your GPS can not, is that it overlays the courses of all the other racers who are using the app.
The more boats that use the app, the more you can learn from reviewing the race. So those using it encourage you to join them. To that end Richard Wells sent us the instructions on using the app that follow.
South Sound Sailboat Racers: We would like to invite all racers to sign up for the free race tracking app & web site.
On your smartphone:
- Load app on Smart Phone. Just search for “RaceQs”, then install free app.
- May need to create an account. (it’s free)
- Enter information about your boat (at least the name)
- When racing, open app & select “Start Tracking”
- When done racing, select “Stop Tracking”, then “Save & Upload”
On your computer:
- Go to RaceQs.com
- Create or open your account
- View your uploads race tracks. It will also show all other boats in the area that are using RaceQs.
- You can also search and view other boats or boat captains for different races.
- You don’t need to be the captain to have a RaceQs account. (it’s still free)
Tricks & Tips: When racing:
- Keep phone above deck for better signal.
- Make sure phone is fully charged. Not a big battery hog, but you don’t want to shut down before the end of the race.
- You can pre-set the timer to begin tracking at the start of the race, and when to automatically shut off.
- You can calibrate the phone to track heel, but it must lay flat.
- Only one person should be running the app on your boat, otherwise it will show up as two boats.
When viewing on RaceQs.com:
- You can have multiple boats on your account.
- You can set the start & turn marks.
- You can compare your performance to other boats
- The color of the track indicates speed- blue is slow (1-3 kts), red is fast (+8 kts)
- When viewing just your own track, you can set it to full track.
- When viewing multiple boat tracks, set it to 3 or 10 minutes, otherwise it gets confusing.